Educational Activities and Resources for Constitution Day and Citizenship Day
Hey there, folks! September 17th is approaching, and you know what that means: It's time to celebrate Constitution Day and Citizenship Day. Whether you're a teacher, a parent, or just someone wanting to learn more about these important American holidays, Lauderhill Mall has you covered. We're super excited to be part of the community and even more thrilled to offer you a range of educational activities and resources for this special occasion.
Constitution Day vs. Citizenship Day
- Focuses on the U.S. Constitution, the supreme law outlining the federal government's structure. Activities often explore the Constitution's historical context, articles, and amendments.
- Centers on the rights and responsibilities of U.S. citizens, whether natural-born or naturalized. Activities highlight civic duties, rights granted to citizens, and the significance of citizenship.
In summary, Constitution Day delves into the framework of American governance, while Citizenship Day celebrates who participates in that governance and why. Both observances, falling on September 17, aim to deepen our understanding of American identity.
How to Get Kids Involved in Citizenship Day Activities
Getting kids involved in Citizenship Day activities can be a fun and educational experience for the whole family. Here are some simple yet effective ways to engage young minds:
Encourage kids to role-play as government officials, lawmakers, or community leaders. This makes learning fun and helps kids understand the roles and responsibilities of citizens and public servants. One of the best ways to bring these roles to life and make the experience even more exciting is through costumes!
If you're wondering where to find affordable yet stylish clothing to help your kids become character, look no further than Rainbow. With over 1,000 locations, including one conveniently located at Lauderhill Mall, Rainbow offers a wide range of clothing, shoes, and accessories for women, juniors, plus sizes, and, most importantly for this activity, kids.
Create a scavenger hunt around the house or at a park where kids have to find items or facts related to citizenship and the Constitution. Each clue could teach them something new!
Citizenship Test Quiz
You can simplify the U.S. citizenship test and quiz the kids on basic questions about American history and government. Reward correct answers with small treats to keep them motivated.
Kids love to draw and craft. Provide them with materials to create American flags or sketch symbols representing freedom and democracy. This is a great way for them to express what citizenship means to them creatively.
How to Discuss Constitution Day with Family
Talking about Constitution Day with family can seem daunting, but it doesn't have to be. Here are some tips on how to have meaningful conversations:
Begin by asking open-ended questions like, "What does the Constitution mean to you?" or "Why do you think we have a Constitution Day?"
Pick a constitutional amendment or topic that everyone can discuss. It can be a fun and engaging way to hear different opinions and to educate each other on the relevance of the Constitution today.
Consider watching a family-friendly film that revolves around themes of freedom, democracy, or American history. Discuss the movie afterward to tie in its themes with the significance of Constitution Day.
Discussing the Constitution and citizenship can create a thoughtful and enriching family experience. It's an opportunity to explore your thoughts on freedom, rights, responsibilities, and being an American citizen.
Must-Watch Movies for Constitution Day and Citizenship Day
Whether you’re hosting a movie marathon or looking for a film to watch with family, here’s a list of movies that touch upon the U.S. Constitution, American history, and the concept of citizenship.
- 1776 - This musical film focuses on the days leading up to the signing of the Declaration of Independence, providing a foundation for understanding the later Constitution.
- Lincoln - This Steven Spielberg film offers a glimpse into the politics and personalities involved in passing the 13th Amendment.
- John Adams - This HBO miniseries explores the life of one of America’s founding fathers and the second president, John Adams, whose work influenced the Constitution.
- Constitution USA with Peter Sagal - A comprehensive look at the modern relevance of the U.S. Constitution.
- The Federalist Papers - This documentary explores the collection of articles advocating for the ratification of the United States Constitution.
- 13th - A thought-provoking film about the 13th Amendment, which abolished slavery, and its ongoing impact.
- National Treasure - A fun adventure movie that revolves around the Declaration of Independence and indirectly celebrates American history and freedoms.
- An American Tail - An animated film that examines immigration and the American dream, making it a good discussion starter for Citizenship Day.
- The West Wing (T.V. Series) - While not a movie, this T.V. show often delves into constitutional issues and gives an inside look at the American government.
- Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - This classic film touches upon democracy, governance, and the role of ordinary citizens in political life.
- All the President’s Men - Focusing on the Watergate scandal, this film shows the importance of a free press and accountability in government.
Social Justice Films
- Selma - Chronicles the voting rights marches led by Martin Luther King Jr., which led to the passing of the Voting Rights Act of 1965.
- Milk - This film tells the story of Harvey Milk, an openly gay politician fighting for civil rights, showing the ongoing struggle to expand the promises of the Constitution to all Americans.
Your One-Stop Destination
While planning your Constitution Day and Citizenship Day activities, remember to include a trip to Lauderhill Mall in your itinerary. Why, you ask? Let us tell you why our mall is the go-to spot for these celebrations!
Exceptional Shopping Experience
First off, shopping at Lauderhill Mall is an experience like no other. Whether you're looking for trendy fashion, delectable eateries, or unique gifts, our mall is a treasure trove of delights. We have a wide variety of shops that cater to every taste and need. Trust us; you'll want to see it for yourself.
Plus, we're proud to host Goodwill for those who are community-conscious. Not only can you find affordable clothing and household goods, but you're also supporting a noble cause, as Goodwill uses the revenues from its retail operations to fund job training and other services. Browse through our shops to plan your visit: Lauderhill Mall Shops.
Special Constitution Day Offers
To make your celebration even more special, select stores will offer exclusive discounts for Constitution Day and Citizenship Day! So, not only do you get to soak in the patriotic spirit, but you also get to enjoy some fabulous deals.
Our mall is centrally located, making it convenient for everyone to visit. Plus, we offer ample parking space, so you don't have to worry about finding a spot when you arrive.
We prioritize your health and safety. Rest assured, all our stores and activities will adhere to the highest safety guidelines, ensuring you have a worry-free and enjoyable time.
So, what are you waiting for? Mark your calendars and make Lauderhill Mall your destination this Constitution Day and Citizenship Day. Between the educational activities, exclusive offers, and community spirit, you will want to experience all the fun we have in store for you. We can't wait to welcome you!