The United States recognizes March as National Women’s History Month. Learn more about this observance and ways on how to celebrate Women’s History Month 2022.
National Women’s History Month is a celebration of women’s vital role and contributions to the world. Beginning on the 1st of March and ending on the 31st, it is celebrated annually in the United States since 1987.
The National Women’s History Month theme this year is “Women Providing Healing, Promoting Hope” as a tribute to the caregivers and frontline workers who tirelessly helped combat the ongoing pandemic. This March, let us dedicate ourselves to reflecting on the contributions of women in the United States.
Read more below to understand National Women’s Month and how you can raise awareness and celebrate this commemoration.
Fun Facts About Women
- There are 164.8 million females in the United States, higher than males which are 159.9 million. Source
- Women can spot differences between colors that look identical to men. Source
- Women blink more than men with an average of 23.81 blinks per minute. Source
- The number of women leaders has more than doubled since 2005. Source
- The "Mother of Miami," Julia DeForrest Tuttle, is the only woman to have ever founded a US city. Source
Understanding National Women’s History Month
- What is National Women’s History Month?
National Women's History Month is an honorary observance every March in the United States, which was established by the United States Congress in 1987, in honor of women's tremendous achievements throughout history.
- When is National Women’s History Month celebrated?
National Women’s History Month is celebrated annually starting on the first of March until the very last day of the month.
- When did National Women’s History Month originate?
Women’s History Month can be traced back to 1981 when Congress successfully passed Pub. L. 97-28, authorizing and requesting President Jimmy Carter to proclaim March 7, 1982, as Women’s History Week. During the next five years, Congress continued to pass resolutions that designate a week in March as Women’s History Week.
In 1987, the National Women’s History Project petitioned Congress to pass the Pub. L. 100-9, which designates the whole month of March solely for Women’s History Month. Since 1995, US Presidents have declared March to be "Women's History Month" in a succession of annual proclamations.
- Why is it important to celebrate National Women’s Month?
National Women's Month has served as a platform for celebrating women's accomplishments and discussing current and developing women's empowerment and gender equality issues, concerns, difficulties, and commitments.
Five Ways to Celebrate Women’s History Month
- Learn the history of women’s rights.
This is the perfect opportunity to expand your knowledge about women’s rights. Did you know that when the US was first established, women are considered as a man’s property? It took a lot of work and sacrifice for activists to change this status quo.
- Raise awareness on issues women face today.
Although women have made progress to where we are today, there are still countless issues they face every day. For instance, gender inequality is still present. In most industries, men earn more than women despite having the same job responsibilities. It is time that we step up and educate ourselves and other people about ongoing issues like this.
- Be active on social media about your stand.
An easy and effective way to disseminate what you know is to share articles, news, infographics about women-centered issues. Remember that your voice matters!
- Support women-owned local businesses.
Another way to celebrate Women’s History Month is by supporting women-owned local businesses. At Lauderhill Mall, we have a lot of retail stores and restaurants owned and operated by strong women. Let us help them achieve economic empowerment through our help!
- Host an event celebrating women.
An event is a fun way to celebrate Women's History Month while also forming bonds with other women. Lauderhill Mall is always open to hosting genuine events like this. Make it uplifting and motivating!
Here are some fantastic and entertaining ideas to make the occasion even more memorable!
- Host a fashion show in partnership with female-owned clothing businesses
- Display a freedom wall and encourage participants to write positive affirmations
- Conduct a mini ceremony and celebration and give awards to each female to celebrate their achievements Conclusion
Women have always been inclusive in our history. But for many years, they are often overlooked. Regardless of their contributions and achievements, men are still hailed superiors. National Women’s History Month paved the way to magnify the role of women and how they helped shaped the nation.
Lauderhill Mall recognizes Women’s History Month and pledges to continue supporting the significant power and accomplishments of every woman.
About Lauderhill Mall
Lauderhill Mall is located in central Broward County that offers well-known brands and unique products and services not found in most shopping malls. We provide free monthly events for all ages to make shopping fun and enjoyable! We're open seven days a week, visit us!
Mall hours: Monday to Saturday - 10 AM to 8 PM Sunday - 11 AM to 6 PM
Address: 1267 NW 40th AVE, Lauderhill, FL 33313